Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

I have started 2011 with the intention of learning how to keep bees.

It is a subject that has facinated me for years , and as a Homebrewer , I have made a batch of Mead that was very nice, so having my own Honey will be a wonderful thing.

I have been reading solidly for the last 2 weeks, and have now joined a number of forums , and will do a beginner Bee Keeping Course in January - through the local Society - Guilford County Beekeepers.

I am now researching equipment and it seems as if some of the best Hives are made right here in NC, about 2 hrs drive away, so a road trip is on the cards.

I would like to start with a Nuc (a small Nucleus Hive) , which seem to have the best success rate for beginners, as they already have a laying Queen , plus Brood and workers.

I want two hives for a first season, and will see how it all goes after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment